Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Interesting Article: Libraries as iCentres

I'm not convinced that using the Apple branded 'i' prefix is necessarily a good practice, it didn't work for vegemite, it's unlikely to work any better for the school library.  Criticism of cutesy/try-hard names aside, this was an interesting article.  Whether it will be any use for assignment one remains to be seen.

Basically, the authors premise was that the changing nature of the world and technology meant that it was essential that librarians expand their role to become 21st century leaders in education.  That libraries become learning hubs, where technology skills are properly taught.

He listed a whole raft of issues that "young people" have as far as accessing web based information.  And as I read through the list, I realised guiltily, that at 40+, I commit a fair whack of these internet crimes.  So obviously, being 'young' isn't the agent, perhaps it is simply being inexperienced.

So here's my conrete example to prove that I'm not just waffling.  It's true, I am a quick scanner as far as web pages go (this is a bad thing), and until a few weeks ago (when I read James Herrings second chapter for 501, the course I dropped at the beginning of this week when I realised I would probably just scrape through and not get all that I wanted out of both courses if I continued to study them concurrently.  And possibly have a nervous breakdown into the bargain, I never do things by halves.  It's important to recognise one's weaknesses and plan accordingly.  I was already driving the family mad with constant reading and shushing and ignoring, and two minute noodles for dinner, I owe them better than that.  But I digress...)

So the Herring chapter convinced me to take a look at Google Advanced search, and then dogpile, and the webinar got me searching databases at the university library, and working on my search skills, I have discovered that I get far more out of the time spent at the computer looking for things.

I am learning to slow down and read carefully.  After I have searched effectively.  I just needed to be shown that this was more effective than my rather haphazard approach. 

So although the author of my article (whose name has gone out of my head, Mac something or other, if you're interested me, leave a comment and I will dig it out of my carefully labelled Assignment 1Research Folder on my desktop), although the author makes a big case for the librarian as leader, I actually think he could have spent a little more time on that essential teaching role. 

Perhaps school students, like me, feel like the web is a big dark place, full of teetering stacks of information (rather like the Room of Requirement at Hogwarts), and they are blundering around in that darkness.  They just need someone to give them a torch to light their way.  Librarian as teacher!

1 comment:

  1. The author of that article I mention in this post is not Mac anything. His name is Michael Hough. And the title is "Libraries as iCentres".

    ReplyDelete