Monday, July 25, 2011

Librarian as Literacy Leader

There has been a great deal in the readings about the various roles of the teacher librarian, and yesterday I came across one that struck a chord with me - Barbara Braxton on The Teacher Librarian as Literacy Leader Braxton Article


Anyway, the article began with two pictures (these are mental pictures, so use your imagination) - the first was of a group of upper primary boys waiting at the library door for it to open at lunchtime so they could continue reading Deltora Quest, and get more gems for their belt.  The other was of a teacher reading To Kill a Mockingbird to Year 6, and the children squirming in their seats because they just didn't get it.

Maybe it's the To Kill a Mockingbird thing that got me in, that being one of my favourite books, as a hook it worked for me.  The idea of making that book something children recall with boredom and dread sends cold shivers down my spine.  It is a beautiful book, and I love it, but I have a bit of a thing about exposing children to material earlier than they are ready to handle it, it's wrong, and can really spoil their enjoyment of it when the right time comes, their memories tainted by their earlier experience.

The whole article though was full of lovely ideas for getting students and staff INTO your library.  I want a library of my own, so I can start putting some of these wonderful ideas into practice.  I want to make the library a place where the kids want to come.  I want it to hum.  I want to work on the creation of a great space. I want to get authors in, and have morning teas where the kids can talk to them.  I want to get the kids to help choose books that they think should be in their library.  What a great way for them to feel that sense of ownership.

I asked my teenagers if they felt like the library at their school was theirs.  They looked at me like I was speaking an alien language.  "Library?  What would I go to the library for?"  I must have looked a little broken hearted, as they reassured me that "my" library would no doubt be wonderful and relevant.  But I was still sad that that library in my head is not the library of their experience.

I will not be Madame Pince, keeper of the library, and protector of the books.  I will be so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment